Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 mins
Great chocolate chip cookies without the sugar or sugar substitutes. Use carobe chips and agave nectar and the cookies are a great alternative.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat butter, sweetener, and vanilla in large mixer bowl.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl, then gradually beat into the butter mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto silicone baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- To make bar cookies.
- Prepare the dough as above, then spread it into a greased 15"x10" jelly-roll pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars and serve.
Edible, but not great. I'm not a big carob fan though. I did substitute maple syrup for the agave nectar, and whole wheat for the white flour. They spread out a lot while baking, if I make them again I will refrigerate the batter for awhile before baking or make the bars. But overall not bad considering what they are, a very healthy wannabe for chocolate chip cookies :-)
Agave IS a sugar. I got all excited when I read no sugar or substitute and then there's a 1/4 cup of SUGAR!!!!