Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Usual, not-healthy pumpkin pie recipes call for 3/4 cup sugar, 2 –3 eggs (yolks!), and 1 12-oz can of innocent-sounding evaporated milk. Yikes. One 12-oz can of fat free evaporated milk has 45 g carbs, which quickly break down to 12 tsp sugar (that's a candy bar). Then there’s the lardy, sugary, floury pie crust. This healthy, high protein recipe serves 8 at 112 calories per serving, including the no sugar Healthy crust. (Make the crust first.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the first four ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir pumpkin into skillet & heat slowly.
- Add the egg whites and cheese, stirring until cheese starts to melt. (If the eggs start to cook, remove from heat for a bit.).
- Mix in the Splenda and spice.
- Mix egg replacer well with the water, add.
- Stir whole mixture, pour into crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350, bake 15-20 more minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- The cheese is what “binds.” Blended with the egg whites, the two substitute beautifully for the not-healthy evaporated milk. (Fat free, nice, but as much sugar as a candy bar.) And you needn’t bake at such high temps for so long, because you’re not waiting for sugar to melt, egg yolks to cook – and you’ve already heated your ingredients.
This receipe sounds great, I have not given it a try as of yet thats why I'm only giving 4 stars, but it does sound wonderful, as I'm a Diabetic, will let you know how it turned out, but wanted to thank you right now for sharing your receipe. I just love pumkin!!!
I can't wait to try this! I stocked up on lots of pumpkin since it went on sale. haha, and I love how indept you went in the discription.
I made this for myself and was pleasantly surprised at how sweet and delicious it was! I don't have access to fat-free cheese in New Zealand, but substituted the lowest fat I could find. Thanks for sharing! I've bookmarked all your recipes.