Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Plain vanilla yogurt-lite. A great base for your favorite smoothie or with fruit or cereal.
- 4 cups milk (your choice whole-skim)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered dry milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt starter (unflavored plain yogurt with active cultures)
- Set 1/2 yogurt starter out to warm to room temperature.
- (I usually buy a large container of plain active culture plain whole milk yogurt-no gelatin and freeze in baby food jars for starters).
- Heat the milk to almost a boil.
- (I like to microwave in a glass bowl for 5 minutes on high then 2 minutes on medium) Cool the milk (to a"barely warm"/ babies bath temperature cool water bath works well).
- Add Dry Milk, Vanilla and Sweetener of your choice.
- Stir well.
- Stir in yogurt starter (do not whip but mix very well!).
- "cook"the yogurt using your prefered method and time (longer makes a firmer, more tart yogurt. I like to cook about 12 hours) Chill 4 hours before eating.