Recipe by Mandi McMenamy
I created this no sugar, no butter version of muffins for the health conscious like me! These muffins use a natural sweetener--agave--which has a low glycemic index (32-46) . Also, they have very low saturated fat since butter is not used. A healthier version of muffin and super delicious too!
- 1 cup unbleached white spelt flour
- 1 cup bakers wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup quick oats
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (or cinnamon)
- 2 organic eggs
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup agave nectar (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 2⁄3 cups dried fruit, and nuts, of choice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat regular sized 12-muffin tin with oil or use recycled paper cups.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to just combined (do not over mix or muffins will become tough).
- Gently pour in the fruits and nuts until folded. You can use any combination of dried fruits and nuts to equal almost 2 cups. When I make them, I love this combination: 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, 1/3 cup sliced almonds, 1/3 cup pecan bits, 1/3 cup raisins, 1/3 cup cherries.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins, until all of the batter is used and evenly dispersed (should fill to top).
- Bake 18-25 minutes or until the top springs back when you press down with your finger.
- Let cool before eating, if you can wait that long, and enjoy.