Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have not made this (from Bernardin), but thought those who try to eat sugar-free would appreciate the recipe. It's also has a very thorough explanation of canning steps, as well.
- 1 lb dried apricot (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups orange juice, divided
- water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (49 g) packageno sugar needed fruit pectin (made by Bernardin)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar substitute (like Equal)
- Fill boiling water canner with water; place 5 clean 1-cup mason jars in canner; boil 10 minutes to sterilize; in another saucepan, boil Snap Lids 5 minutes to soften sealing compound.
- Combine apricots, 1-1/2 cups water and 1 cup of the orange juice in a saucepan; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and boil gently 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer apricot mixture to a food processor or blender; puree and place in a glass measuring cup and add water to this puree to measure 4 1/2 cups total.
- Place in a large deep stainless steel saucepan with lemon juice and remaining 1 cup of orange juice.
- Gradually stir Bernardin No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin into fruit (do NOT add pectin all at once); stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil.
- Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Dissolve Equal in 1/2 cup water; add to fruit, stir for a full 2 minutes.
- Ladle jam into a hot sterilized jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim (head space).
- Using a rubber spatula, remove air bubbles and readjust head space to 1/4 inch.
- Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness.
- Centre a Snap Lid on jar; apply screw band just until fingertip tight; place jar in canner.
- Repeat for remaining jars.
- Cover canner; return water to a boil.
- Process (boil) 5 minutes.
- Remove jars.
- Cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours.
- Check jar seals (sealed lids curve downward).
- If any jars have not sealed properly, store in fridge and eat promptly.