Recipe by Ruth923
A friend made this for my mother for her birthday. She is a diabetic and this was a real treat for her. It had been one of a few times that she was able to have an apple pie since becoming a diabetic.
Top Review by Mysterygirl
I loved this pie. Very tasty, but I must admit that I reduced the nutmeg to 1/4 teaspoon from 1/4 tablespoon. I prefer more cinnamon taste to nutmeg. With my change however, it was a hit with my family. No one could tell that it was sugar-free. Thanks for posting, I will keep this one around.
- 6 cups tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 (12 ounce) can unsweetened apple juice, thawed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tablespoon nutmeg
- pastry for double-crust pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- In a small mixing bowl combine cornstarch,1/3 of a cup of apple juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Place apples and remaining apple juice in a large saucepan and simmer until apples are tender Then add the cornstarch mixture stir until slightly thickened.
- Place into pie shell cover with crust flute edges and vent.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until crust is a golden brown.