Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
Standing time of 12-14 hours not included in cooking time.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs pickling cucumbers
- boiling water, to cover sliced cucumber
- 4 cups cider vinegar (5%)
- 3 cups sugar substitute (Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon canning salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 4 (1 inch) cinnamon sticks
- Wash and rinse pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use.
- Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.
- Wash cucumbers and slice 1/16th-inch off the blossom ends and discard.
- Slice cucumbers into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Pour boiling water over the cucumber slices and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain off the hot water and pour cold water over the cucumbers.
- Let cold water run continuously over the cucumber slices, or change water frequently until cucumbers are cooled.
- Drain slices well.
- Mix vinegar, 1 cup water, Splenda® and all spices in a 10-quart Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Bring to a boil and add drained cucumber slices carefully to the boiling liquid.
- Return to a boil.
- Place one cinnamon stick in each jar, if desired.
- With a slotted spoon, fill hot pickle slices into clean, hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Cover with boiling hot pickling brine, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed.
- Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Let cool, undisturbed, 12 to 24 hours and check for seals.