Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
In my quest for a healthy and diabetic-friendly dessert and given that I love Lemon Meringue Pie, I came up with this recipe that I modified from several recipes I found on the web using Splenda sugar substitute and Egg-Beaters to cut out the sugar and fat.. This doesn't take the place of a homemade Lemon Meringue Pie by any means, but it is a great guilt-free dessert when you're dieting or diabetic!
- 1 cup Splenda granular (artificial sweetener)
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup egg substitute (such as Egg-Beaters)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular (artificial sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Lemon Filling:.
- Mix Splenda and cornstarch in saucepan. Stir in water until blended. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and transparent.
- Pour egg substitute in small bowl. Stir in about 1/4 cup of the hot Splenda/cornstarch mixture. Stirring constantly, slowly add egg mixture to the Splenda/cornstarch mixture in the saucepan and then add the lemon juice. Stir over medium head 3 to 4 minutes until very thick. Add lemon zest and stir until blended. Pour into custard cups and top with meringue.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Slowly add cream of tartar, Splenda and vanilla to beaten egg whites. Beat on high until slightly stiff peaks form. Top lemon filling in custard cups with meringue making sure to seal meringue to edges of the cups. Place custard cups on a baking sheet and place into a 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown. When cool, store in refrigerator.
This is a most lovely desert. I have been on low curb diet no sugar at all, have to drop almost 15kg. I'm still finding only sugar stuffs. This recipe is only one created in the world. I have watched many cooking show never have come across something like this one. It should be 100% rated