3 hrs 9 mins
2 hrs 9 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
From the UW Extension Service. I plan to make using rice wine vinegar (5%) & diced crystallized ginger & lemon - omitting the other spices except perhaps for a pretty little fish pepper in each jar. Will also ice & salt the cantaloupe with pickling salt before dousing with the hot vinegar. **Select cantaloupe that are full size but almost fully green and firm to the touch in all areas including the stem area.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Day One:.
- 21. Wash cantaloupe and cut into halves; remove seeds. Cut into 1 inch slices and peel. Cut strips of flesh into 1 inch cubes. Weigh out 6 pounds of pieces and place in large glass bowl.
- 32. Place red pepper flakes, cinnamon sticks, cloves and ginger in a spice bag and tie the ends firmly. Combine vinegar and water in a 4-quart stockpot. Bring to a boil, then turn heat off. Add spice bag to the vinegar-water mixture, and let steep for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 43. Pour hot vinegar solution and spice bag over melon pieces in the bowl. Cover with a food-grade plastic lid or wrap and let stand overnight in the refrigerator (about 18 hours).
- 5Day Two.
- 64. Wash and rinse pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.
- 75. Carefully pour off vinegar solution into a large 8 to 10 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Add Splenda; stir to dissolve. Add cantaloupe and bring back to a boil. Lower heat to simmer until cantaloupe pieces turn translucent; about 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
- 86. Remove cantaloupe pieces into a medium-sized stockpot, cover and set aside. Bring remaining liquid to a boil and boil an additional 5 minutes. Return cantaloupe to the liquid syrup, and bring back to a boil.
- 97. With a slotted spoon, fill hot cantaloupe pieces into clean, hot pint jars, leaving 1- inch headspace. Cover with boiling hot syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.
- 108. Process in a boiling water canner. Pint jars 15 minutes (for elevations 0-1,000 feet) or 20 minutes (for elevations 1,001-6,000 feet). Let cool, undisturbed, 12-24 hours and check for seals.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Sugar Added Cantaloupe Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (4456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.7
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 127.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 54.7 g
- Protein 5.8 g