Recipe by Easy Baker
My sister is boarderline diabetic and controls her sugar intake with diet. Here is an easy apple pie with all the flavour but non of the extra sugar.
- 5 lbs apples
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or if you're like me, use 1 cap full)
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean, Peel and Dice some of the apples (2-3) and add to a 2 quart saucepan. Add orange juice, lemon juice and cinnamon. Allow to "stew" on medium heat for 5 minutes. This will make the apples soft and sweeten naturally in their juices.
- Clean, peel and slice the rest of the apples and put the lid on with the heat on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and mix the corn starch and water in a separate cup. Add to apples and stir. This will prevent the apple mix from being too thin and gloopy during the cutting process.
- Add to the bottom crust of your favourate pie crust (be sure to perforate it with a fork first!), add filling and the top layer of dough.
- Since the filling is still hot, the cooking time will be cut down; bake at 450 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- This pie is easily prepared and frozen to be cooked later.