Recipe by Andrea-Oz
Easiest trifle ever to make. One of my Mother's failsafe recipes. You could add fruit if you want, or some alcohol for a kick. I use everything store bought to save time, but you could make all the components yourself too. The jelly needs to be made a couple of days ahead of putting it together, and the trifle can be made up to 2 days ahead. Swiss roll is a rolled up sponge with jam in it - we call it a jam roly-poly. Cooking time is fridge time.
- 1 swiss roll, slightly stale 300-400 g
- 1 liter custard
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 (500 g) packetgreen gelatin (jelly)
- 1 (500 g) packet red gelatin (jelly)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1-2 days ahead - Make the jellies as per packet instructions.
- Night before.
- Cut the jelly into 1" cubes.
- Cut the swiss roll into 1 cm slices, and each slice into 6 pieces.
- Place the cut jelly pices, the cut swiss roll and 3/4 cup of coconut into a large serving bowl and toss gently, like a salad.
- Add 3/4 litre custard and mix through gently.
- Pour remaining custard over the top and smooth down.
- Top with remaining coconut.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight if possible (but not essential).
- Serve with icecream, cream, fruit or just by itself.