Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have adapted this easy to make recipe from Alan Coxon’s Chicken Nuggets recipe from Great Food Live on the uktv FOOD website. I’ve added marjoram or oregano and almonds or walnuts to the crumb mixture to make the chicken nuggets tastier. You could also use half and half of either of these alternatives: a pinch of both marjoram and oregano and perhaps 2 almonds and 1 walnut! If you are going to be serving these to children, it’s probably best to use a mild, sweet paprika. It’s certainly a recipe that children ready to help in the kitchen could take part in preparing. Perhaps then they’ll see chicken nuggets as something you make yourself and eat at home rather than as a fast food choice. If making this only for adults and you like some bite in your food, add the appropriate quantity of your favourite spicy ingredient in the crumbs or in the accompanying salsa or relish. But if you're looking for a milder salsa, you might like to try my Apple Mint Yoghurt Salsa Apple Mint Yoghurt Salsa. Remember that smaller nuggets will require more crumbs and will cook more quickly. For the benefit of any others like internetnut wanting to make this recipe and not having access to conversion charts, I have added the conversions below.
- 225 g white bread (just over 7 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram or 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3 almonds or 3 walnuts
- 1 egg
- 125 ml milk (4 fl.oz. )
- 900 g boneless chicken (just under 29 ounces)
- relish or sour cream or salsa, to serve
- salad greens, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F/gas 6. Slice the bread, and toast it until it has lightly browned. Leaving the crusts on, break it into pieces, and grind it into fine crumbs in a food processor.
- Add the garlic powder, paprika, marjoram or oregano and almonds or walnuts and process again; place the crumbs in a large plastic freezer bag or tip into a deep tray.
- Beat the egg in a large bowl with the milk, and add the chicken pieces, in batches; drain the chicken pieces for a moment or two before tossing them in the breadcrumbs - coating the crumbs evenly around each nugget.
- Arrange the crumbed chicken nuggets on a lightly greased baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve straight away, accompanied with your choice of salsa or relish or sour cream.
We really enjoyed these. Very tasty. I also cooked mine a little longer. Very good flavor!
I made mine into chicken strips. All in all a good recipe, except I had minor trouble with the cooking time. Cooked mine for 15 extra minutes so the would be done. Great taste and flavor, and served with Homemade Barbecue Sauce#373899. Made for 1-2-3 tag.
This is a great way to prepare chicken! I made mine tenders instead of nuggets, so had to cook a little longer (about 20 minutes). The chicken was moist and the crust was flavorful. Served these with 3 sauces (bbq, ranch, and sour cream/salsa) and really enjoyed - thanks for sharing your recipe!