Prep 2 hrs 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I am on a salt-free diet now and have been baking bread at home for some time. I use a Beko bread machine for kneading the dough, and oven-bake it later. I tried out several combinations. This is my favourite.
- 200 ml water (20-25 degrees Celsius)
- 100 ml nonfat milk (20-25 degrees Celsius)
- 400 g whole wheat flour
- 100 g bread flour
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 g active dry yeast
- 20 g flour
- Place water and milk into machine's pan.
- Pour olive oil into pan and mix by shaking pan slightly.
- Mix whole-wheat flour and bread flour.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over the liquid in pan, taking care to cover the whole surface of the liquid layer.
- Put the yeast in the middle of flour.
- Start the dough cycle of the machine.
- Heat the oven to about 100 degrees Celsius and switch off.
- Take dough out of the pan when cycle ends and knead slightly on a on a smooth surface ( do not forget to sprinkle some flour on the surface before kneading).
- Shape dough into one (or two maximum) loaf and place into a silicon baking dish.
- Cover the dough with a slightly damp cloth and let it rest in the oven until volume is doubled.
- Remove from oven.
- Set oven to 175 degree Celsius.
- Remove cloth over the dough and bake in oven for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 30 minutes on a rack before slicing.