Recipe by rodney h.
As far as I can tell, this came from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. By making your own seasoning mix, you control the sodium, along with the rest(which chili powder,ketchup, etc. you prefer). By using salt-free ketchup, you can eliminate the salt and still serve a tasty Sloppy Joe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup salt-free ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- .While browning the ground beef, mix the dry ingredients. After beef is browned, drain off drippings, add seasoning mix and liquid ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often, til desired thickness, if necessary, add water.
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce +1 to 2 tablespoons vinegar + 1 teaspoon sugar can be substituted for the salt-free ketchup.