Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Even though this isn't what a true Louisianan native calls a gumbo this is a similar style Chicken, and Andouille sausage gumbo.. With the trinity of green pepper, onion and celery to start and assorted spices make this a mild but flavorful gumbo.
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1⁄2 lb cajun style andouille sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) boxdei fratelli diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) canglen muir tomato paste
- 8 ounces organic chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 green pepper
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 cup frozen okra
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- water, as needed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- jasmine rice
- Dice onion, green pepper and celery.
- dice chicken into 1/2 to 1 inch chunks.
- dice andouille sausage.
- using a dutch oven melt butter and add olive oil on medium high heat.
- saute the onion, green pepper and celery until soft.
- add chicken and saute until no longer pink.
- add sausage.
- add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and 1 cup water.
- add all spices and bring to a boil then lower to medium high to medium heat and cover with a lid.
- cook for 20 minutes.
- add okra and cook for another 15 minutes.
- If it seems a little too thick just add water until desired consistency.
- make jasmine rice to package directions.
- serve gumbo over rice.