Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I wanted a shortbread crust but didn't want to roll out the dough or let it rest. In the end I came up with this recipe. It's buttery enough to taste good, but I can press it into my tart pans and pie plates. No floury countertop mess or rolling pin. Yay!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Add dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Add the butter and using a fork or butter knife cut it in a bit to make the butter into bits the size of sugar cubes. This seems to help the butter distribute better once the oil is added.
- Then add the oil.
- With your hand (or hands) rub the butter and oil into the flour/sugar. When you're done there will be no dry flour remaining and you'll be able to form a ball.
- Press the pastry into a pie plate or tart forms.
- Prick the bottom with a fork to prevent the crust from forming bubbles and place in a 350 degree fahrenheit oven. Cooking times will vary, but expect 15 to 20 minutes for a light crust.
- Note: This has only been used for Lemon Tarts and Cook & Serve Pudding fillings. I have not used it for longer cooking fillings and don't know how it would fare for things like Pumpkin Pie, etc.