Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Place this in the crockpot; fix it and forget it. Remember, NO peeking.
- 6 -8 white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch thick slices
- 1⁄3 cup bacon grease or 1⁄3 cup meat pan dripping, fried
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- water, to barely cover potatoes
- Place all the ingredients in the crock pot in exact order given.
- Cover and cook about 3 hours. Remove lid and cook longer if less juice is desired.
- Potatoes may be left unattended for 5 to 6 hrs on low.
- Adjust salt to taste.
This was great! Initially we thought it was just OK... but after a few bites it really "grew" on us and DH and I both loved it! I made a few alterations: I diced roughly a cup of bacon, sauteed it to get the grease, and threw the bacon into the pot on top of the potatoes. Then I sauteed the onion lightly in the bacon grease before dumping it (with grease) on top of the bacon. I wasn't sure whether to cook on high or low, but due to the short cook time I did it on high. After two hours I removed the lid and scooped out most of the liquid with a cup, stirred and let it simmer in the remaining liquid. This is a new favorite and I will serve it often. Shirl, thank you for a really outstanding recipe!
Good potatoes Shirl! I used red potatoes since I had a bag in pantry. The potatoes had a very nice taste with using bacon grease and onions. I did add some seasoning salt and ground pepper. DH loved it! Thanks for sharing.