Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An easy, flavorful recipe. It calls for one whole cut-up chicken, but I use chicken breasts. Very good & gooey.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 cups Minute Rice, uncooked
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packagelipton dry onion soup mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup water
- Mix soups, water, and rice; set aside.
- Grease casserole and layer chicken on the bottom.
- Pour soup & rice mixture over chicken.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in 350°F for 2 hours.
- Most important: Don't peek!
This is a great recipe as is. I first saw it from a cookbook from a church my mom had. One of the reviewers was correct. The onion soup mix should be sprinkled over the entire chicken and soup before foil. Enjoy.
Don't know if my rating really counts since I made so many changes, but for sure, it was easy and the recipe works. My changes: Used canned chicken, cream of chicken with herbs instead of celery, added onions, celery, pimentos and few fried onions and skipped the dry onion soup mix for fear it would be too salty. THEN, once cooked topped it with cheese. We liked it.
I received this recipe a few years ago from my husband's grandmother. I'm sitting eating the leftovers right now and came to post the recipe - only to find you already had! This is a fabulous recipe as is, one of my favorite ways to have chicken. Your recipe does not say this, but the onion soup mix should be sprinkled on top of the whole dish before baking (or at least that is how mine reads). I see no reason it couldn't be made in a crockpot, though I haven't tried it that way. I use whatever chicken I have on hand (bone-in, boneless, whatever). I do skin bone-in chicken though or it does get a bit greasy.