Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I got this recipe from a family friend and have finally made it. It was very good, but I DID do a couple of different things! *** (see cooking instructions)
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 5 potatoes, quartered,or smaller
- 8 carrots, cut into big pieces
- 1⁄2 stalk celery
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (2 lb) can tomatoes
- 1 piece white bread, crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix well.
- Place in covered baking dish.
- Bake at 250* for 5 hours.
- DO NOT PEEK.
- **thatis NOT a typo- two hundred fifty degrees**.
- *** After making this recipe, I need to update what I did. I used about 6 carrots, instead of 8 , I used 4 stalks of celery instead of 1/2 ! And I just could NOT leave out stew seasoning, so I added a packet of that as well.
This is one of my favorite stews to make. No fuss, no bother, and bammmmm....a wonderful meal. The only thing I did differently was to add 1 cup burgundy wine and sometimes add a drained can of green peas. Serve with garlic bread or cornbread. We love this recipe. Thanks for sharing it.
This was awful! Even my husband who will eat anything didn't like it. It was like a thick tomato paste.
This stew was really delicious and so easy to make. It turned out so tender. I think I might try it in the crock pot next time. Thanks for posting this great recipe.