Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
A south beach version of Lasagna.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups sugar-free spaghetti sauce
- 3 lbs zucchini or 3 lbs peeled eggplants, sliced thin lengthwise
- 2 cups low-fat ricotta
- 1⁄2 cup chopped basil
- 4 cups low fat mozzarella, shreds
- 1 cup low-fat parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- dry oregano
- Use the dry herbs (to taste) to season the sauce.
- Saute the onions until golden. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook 5 minutes on medium heat.Add to sauce.
- Use same saute pan to brown the meats, and drain well.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan. Arrange a layer of eggplant or zucchini in the bottom of the pan, laying the pieces side by side closely, as though they were lasagna noodles.
- Next, add a layer of the ricotta, and sprinkle on basil.
- Next, add a layer of the cooked meats, mushrooms, a layer of sauce, a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat until everything is gone. Make the top layer cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, uncover and bake until brown, about 10 minutes.
My family and I really liked this lasagne. I made it with zucchini. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is that the end product was extremely watery. I will try sauteeing the zucchini first to get the excess moisture out next time I make this. Thanks for a very good South Beach Diet-Friendly recipe.