Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
No machine needed. This recipe is yummy and very forgiving. It is a good bread to eat on its own or with cheese and wine. My friends and Family love it. Wonderful with a spinach dip. Perfect for hearty sandwiches.
- Mix the hot water with yeast, sugar and salt.
- If yeast begins to expand continue with the recipe.
- Stir in 3 cups of the flour and beat with electric beaters.
- Stir in the cheese (or olive oil) and herbs.
- It's fun trying different combinations every time.
- I like to crush the herbs in a mortar and pestle first.
- If you cut the cheese into 1 inch cubes you'll get nice pockets of melted cheese.
- Stir in the other 3 cups of flour.
- It should be too thick to use electric beaters by now.
- Cover the bowl of batter with a damp towel and let rise for about half an hour or until it reaches the top of the mixing bowl.
- Coat 2 bread pans with olive oil and for tasty crusts lightly salt the pans.
- When the dough rises divide it into the 2 bread pans.
- Don't be afraid to mash it.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Let dough rise in pans for another half hour or until it reaches the tops of the pans.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until it is cooked through and golden on top.
The only confusing portion of the directions was the part about watching the yeast. I've never baked bread before so I had no idea what I was looking for. You're looking for "foam". I made mistakes left and right (this is my first time though), didn't have anything to add to it but olive oil, didn't grease the pan enough and it still turned out AMAZING. I wonder how black olives and mushrooms would taste in this...
What a great bread recipe. I made a few changes that you might like.I took 4 chopped garlic cloves and lightly browned them in the olive oil. I added the olive oil and garlic into the mixture prior to the bread raising.I also put 1/2 Tbs. of basil leaves into the mixture before raising.In one corner of the oven I placed an extra bread pan with about 15 ice cubes, the same time I placed the bread into the oven and the crust was nice and tough and crunchy. Great taste and great texture.
Easy and tasty bread. I used fresh rosemary and thyme and it worked out well. Awesome fresh from the oven. I'd recommend heating it in the microwave or oven before serving leftovers. I halved this recipe with success. Thanks for posting.