Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
My sister in-law made this on one of our visits with her. The kids really love this and there are never any leftovers.
- 1 (500 ml) container cottage cheese (I use low fat)
- 1⁄2-1 envelope elpaso taco seasoning (mild or hot)
- 1⁄2 head shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onion, to taste
- 2 chopped tomatoes, if you like them
- tortilla chips
- Mix as much taco seasoning as your taste allows in with the cottage cheese.
- i find the entire package is much to salty.
- Spread on a small serving platter or 9" pie plate.
- Cover entire surface with lettuce, then cheese, onions and tomatoes.
- Use tortilia chips for scooping.
- Serve right away as the lettuce will go limp if left too long.
- This recipe can be doubled to suit your party needs.
We loved, loved, loved this dip. I made it into as directed using 1 tablespoon low-sodium taco seasoning. My cottage cheese was fat/free and small curd. I forgot the green onion, and just added chopped sweet Wala onions instead. Since I have a love-affair with cottage cheese anyway, this was a perfect meal for us. I had some homemade whole wheat tortillas that I cooked, but any tortilla chip would work perfectly here. This is a keeper for us, and one that I can see being used over and over again. Thank you so much Lori! *Everyday is a Holiday* February 2009.
I do agree with butterymufkin cottage cheese doesn't belong and nether does straight up cream cheese, mix 1/2 container or sour cream, and 1/2 container cream cheese.
This is a great recipe, but I found the texture of the cottage cheese very odd. I substituted the cottage cheese for regular old cream cheese and it suited my tastes much better. Thanks for such a quick and easy dip!