Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 20 mins
This recipe was given to me by an almost vegetarian friend. You can easily add shredded chicken, beef, fish or cooked scrambled egg. I included the recipe for fish sauce, but you could easily use the commercially available kind. This dish is a treat for anyone who likes spicy and/or thai food. Prep. time includes marinating
- 6 anchovy fillets (well rinsed and drained)
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 package extra firm silken tofu, cut into cubes
- 12 ounces flat rice noodles (or fettucine noodles for a less authentic but good alternative)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup red pepper, strips
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped peanuts, divided
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and minced
- To make fish sauce: mash anchovies with one clove of garlic and soya sauce.
- Combine fish sauce with worcestershire, sugar, and lime juice in a bowl.
- Add tofu and marinate for one hour at room temperature or up to 8 hours in fridge.
- Drain tofu, reserving marinade.
- Cook noodles and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok and add garlic, onions, and red pepper.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes on med-high heat then add hot pepper, tofu and 1 tbsp peanuts.
- Stir fry 2-3 minutes more and add sprouts and noodles.
- Heat through.
- Add cilantro, remaining peanuts, chili just before serving.
I liked this alot! It's full of great colors from all the veggies, and just the right amount of "heat". I used bottled fish sauce instead of making in from scratch. Nice, quick and easy meal. The peanuts and cilantro add a nice touch for the garnishes!
I also added shitake mushrooms and used commercial fish sauce (3 tbsp) and this turned out spectacularly well. Definitely one to make again.
This was a beautiful and colorful dish. I too used bottled fish sauce. I added a little hoisin sauce at the end because I wanted a little more sauce. I also added mushrooms. Thanks for a lovely dinner!