Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was given to me by an almost vegetarian friend. You can easily add shredded chicken, beef, fish or cooked scrambled egg. I included the recipe for fish sauce, but you could easily use the commercially available kind. This dish is a treat for anyone who likes spicy and/or thai food. Prep. time includes marinating
- 6 anchovy fillets (well rinsed and drained)
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 package extra firm silken tofu, cut into cubes
- 12 ounces flat rice noodles (or fettucine noodles for a less authentic but good alternative)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup red pepper, strips
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped peanuts, divided
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and minced
- To make fish sauce: mash anchovies with one clove of garlic and soya sauce.
- Combine fish sauce with worcestershire, sugar, and lime juice in a bowl.
- Add tofu and marinate for one hour at room temperature or up to 8 hours in fridge.
- Drain tofu, reserving marinade.
- Cook noodles and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok and add garlic, onions, and red pepper.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes on med-high heat then add hot pepper, tofu and 1 tbsp peanuts.
- Stir fry 2-3 minutes more and add sprouts and noodles.
- Heat through.
- Add cilantro, remaining peanuts, chili just before serving.
I liked this alot! It's full of great colors from all the veggies, and just the right amount of "heat". I used bottled fish sauce instead of making in from scratch. Nice, quick and easy meal. The peanuts and cilantro add a nice touch for the garnishes!
I also added shitake mushrooms and used commercial fish sauce (3 tbsp) and this turned out spectacularly well. Definitely one to make again.
This was a beautiful and colorful dish. I too used bottled fish sauce. I added a little hoisin sauce at the end because I wanted a little more sauce. I also added mushrooms. Thanks for a lovely dinner!