Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love BLTs, but hate mayo. This is my summer solution to that problem. This salad is extremely simple, and depends upon the quality of ingredients, so use only the best and freshest available!
- 226.79-453.59 g maple bacon, reserve grease
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3-4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 day old baguette, cubed
- basil, chiffonade
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine lettuces, tomatoes and onions in large salad bowl; set aside.
- Mix together all vinaigrette ingredients; if desired (and you're feeling very Southern), add a drizzle of bacon grease in place of some of the olive oil.
- Cook bacon on stovetop until nicely crisped; set aside on a paper-towel covered plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, take a little of the bacon grease and place in another pan over medium heat.
- Add cubed bread and toast until brown on all sides.
- Crumble bacon over salad, add the croutons and the vinaigrette, and toss well.
- Garnish with basil, and serve.