Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From our local newspaper, source unknown. Lots of delicious fresh ingredients. An easy vinaigrette recipe for drizzling on your sandwich is also given.
- 1 cup carrot, minced
- 1 cup celery, sliced thinly
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 roma tomatoes, cored and diced small
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted and cooled
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 -2 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced small
- 4 pita pocket bread, cut in half
- alfalfa sprouts or daikon radish sprouts
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (soy sauce for vegetarian version)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream or 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- Prepare the vinaigrette first. Combine all the vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl, except for the olive oil and salad oil. Beat in the olive oil and salad oil with a wire whisk. Best prepared at least 1 hour in advance.
- Boil the eggs and toast the sunflower seeds first. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl combine the carrots, celery, cheese, tomatoes, green onions, toasted sunflower seeds, hard-boiled eggs, and avocado. Toss well but gently.
- Divide the sandwich filling between each pita pocket half. Garnish with alfalfa or daikon radish sprouts and drizzle with the vinaigrette.