1/2 Photos of No-Knead Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Galley Wench's Note:
This is my version of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois), a revolutionary approach to bread baking. Actually it's a combination of Five Minute Bread and Cook's Illustrated Almost No-Knead Bread 2.0. Perfect answer to a busy life . . . mix once and store in the refrigerator and use within 5 days. The addition of beer and vinegar gives the bread a 'sourdough' like taste. If you prefer, water may be substituted for the beer and the vinegar omitted. The bread can be baked in a traditional bread pan, or it can baked using a cast-iron dutch oven, see Almost No-Knead Bread 2.0. Makes three 1-1/2 pound loaves. Preparation time does not include fermentation time.
My Private Note
1 1/2 p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1MIXING AND STORING DOUGH:.
- 2Whisk together flours, wheat germ, yeast, and salt in large bowl or lidded 5 quart container.
- 3Stir honey and melted butter into water; then add water, beer, and vinegar to the dry ingredients.
- 4Using rubber spatula, fold mixture, scraping up dry flour from bottom of bowl/ container until shaggy ball forms (use wet hands if needed).
- 5Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature until dough rises and collapses (or flatttens on top); 2 - 5 hours.
- 6Refrigerate in lidded (not airtight) container and allow to preferment for at least one day or up to 5 days.
- 7ON BAKING DAY:.
- 8Lightly grease a 9x4x3-inch nonstick loaf pan.
- 9With wet hands, pull up one end of the refrigerated dough. Using a serrated knife, cut off a 1 1/2 pound, or canteloupe-size, piece of dough. Dust the piece with flour and quickly shape into a ball by gently stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go. Most of the dusting flour will fall off. The bottom of the loaf may appear to be a collection of bunched ends, but they will flatten out during resting and baking. The dough ball should be smooth and cohesive and take no more than 30 to 60 seconds to shape. Form an elongated oval and place into the prepared pan.
- 10Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rest until doubled in size, approximately 2 hours.
- 11Twenty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 400 degrees, with an empty broiler tray or cast iron skillet on any other shelf that won't interfer with the rising bread.
- 12Place the loaf on a rack near the center of the oven. Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the hot broiler tray or skillet and quickly close the oven door.
- 13Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- 14Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Knead Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1666 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1163.3
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 2843.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 212.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.6 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 35.0 g