1/2 Photos of No-Knead Sandwich Rolls/Buns
Galley Wench's Note:
These are the instructions on how to make the best hard rolls/buns from Artisan Boule Bread. Mix up the dough at least 24 hours before you want to make the rolls. I bake mine in english muffin rings, however they can also be made in a muffin-top pan or free formed into minature boules. The ingredients for Artisan Boule Bread is included to help calculate the nutritional contents of the rolls, please go to the recipe for the instructions to mix up the dough. The beauty of this recipe is you can make as many rolls/buns needed!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer, room temperature lager such as Budweiser (Note Water can be substitued however it will somewhat effect the flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups water, warm approximately 100 degrees
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 6 1/2 cups unsifted unbleached all-purpose flour (29.25 ounces)
- 1Refer to Artisan Boule Bread for insturctions on how to mix up the no-knead dough.
- 2Line a pizza peel with parchment paper.
- 3Spray the inside of 4-inch english muffin rings with non-stick cooking spray; and place on the pizza peel.
- 4Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Lighly dust the surface with flour and cut off a 1 lb. piece of the dough (grapefruit size), this will make approximately 5-6 rolls, depending on the how thick you want them.
- 5With lightly floured hands quickly shape dough into a ball by streching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter turn as you go.
- 6Divide the ball into 5 - 6 roughly equal pieces (about the size of a plum). Shape each into a ball; then flatten out each ball into a circle approximately 3 1/2 inches x 1/2 inch,.
- 7Place each disk of dough inside of a english muffin ring.
- 8Cover and allow to rise for 30 - 40 minutes (the shorter the time, the denser the roll).
- 9While the rolls are rising prepare the oven.
- 10Place one rack on the bottom shelf with a cast-iron skillet or broiler tray. This will be used to add steam to the oven and make crusty rolls. If you wish soft rolls just skip this step.
- 11Place the second rack in the middle of the oven with a baking stone.
- 12Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- 13Just before baking, spray the tops of the dough lightly with water and slash the top of each bun.
- 14Slide the buns onto the pre-heated baking stone.
- 15CAREFULLY add 1 cup of lukewarm water to the steamer pan.
- 16Quickly close the oven door and reduce heat to 425 degree F.
- 17Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- 18Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, before removing rings.
- 19Note: if soft buns are desired, brush the tops with butter.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Knead Sandwich Rolls/Buns
Serving Size: 1 (1584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.3
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 525.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g