Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This bread makes wonderful sandwiches -- from a simple panini with sliced green apples and brie, to a sandwich stacked high with turkey (and cranberry mustard or relish) . . . YUM! Another great recipe for no-knead bread . . . they're so easy to make, just requires some advance planning. Recipes comes from King Arthur flour, with a slight variation. As with other no-knead breads, a cast-iron dutch oven or a covered stoneware baker is needed to achieve the best crust. Time indicated does not include fermentation.
- 3 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (13.75 ozs.)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (4 ozs.)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 3⁄4 cups cool water
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup coarsley chopped walnuts
- 1 sheet parchment paper
- In large bowl or container mix together the flours, salt, yeast and water.
- Stir until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is a sticky ball (you may have to use your hands to thoroughly mix in in the flour).
- Stir in the fruit and nuts -- do not overmix.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 8 to 18 hours.
- Shape and Bake:.
- Turn the dough out onto a lighly floured surface and quickly shape into a ball by gently stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go. Most of the dusting flour will fall off. The bottom of the loaf may appear to be a collection of bunched ends, but they will flatten out during resting and baking. The dough ball should be smooth and cohesive and take no more than 30 to 60 seconds to shape. (To form a log gently stretch the dough. It may be helpful to gently roll it on a floured work surface.).
- Place the dough in the pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature for approximately 2 hours; until a slight indentation remains when you poke it with a finger.
- Just before baking make several slashes to allow for expansion.
- Place lid on pot and place bread in cold oven.
- Set the temperature for 450 degrees.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove lid and continue to back another 5 to 10 minutes; until it's a dark brown color (should be 205 degrees in center).
- Remove from oven and turn out onto a rack and cool before slicing.