1/1 Photo of No-Knead European Peasant Bread
Galley Wench's Note:
Easy to make and great tasting too! Another great recipe from the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mixing Instructions:.
- 2Mix the yeast and salt with the water in a 5 quart bowl or a lidded (not airtight) food container.
- 3Mix in the remaining dry ingredients without kneading, usings a spoon or a heavy-duty stand mixer with dough hook.
- 4Note: If not using a mixer you may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bit of the flour.
- 5Cover (not airthight) and allow to rest at room temperature until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hours.
- 6The dough can be used immediately after rising, however it is easier to handle when cold.
- 7Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 14 days.
- 8Baking Instructions.
- 9Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a grape fruit size piece (1 lb.).
- 10Dust with more flour and quickily shape into a ball by stretching the surface of dough around to the bottom on all four sides, roating the ball a quarter-turn as you go.
- 11Place on cornmeal-dusted pizza peel and allow to rise for 40 minutes.
- 1220 minutes before baking time, preheat oven to 450º F, with a baking stone placed on the middle rack.
- 13Place a cast iron skillet or empty broiler tray on the bottom rack.
- 14Sprinkle loaf liberally with flour and slash the top using a serrated bread knife.
- 15Slide loaf directly onto the hot stone.
- 16Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the skillet or broiler tray and quickly close the door.
- 17Bake for 35 minutes or until top of crust is dark brown and sounds hollow when thumped.
- 18Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- 19Allow to cool before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Knead European Peasant Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1591 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 765.0
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2632.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 157.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 26.5 g