Recipe by Lille
Adapted from 200 Fast & Easy Artisan Breads by Judith Fertig. This dough makes excellent cinnamon buns and filled "braids".
- 6 1⁄2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt, fine texture
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure the flour into a large mixing bowl or dough bucket.
- Add yeast and salt to flour. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a 4-cup measure, heat water in a microwave. If the honey is room temperature and quite thick, the water will need to be quite hot to enable mixing. If the honey is hot from being melted to bring it to a liquid state, the water only needs to be lukewarm. The entire mixture should be lukewarm, you don't want to kill the yeast or cook the eggs.
- Combine warmed water, honey, vegetable oil and eggs in the 4-cup measure. The entire mixture should be lukewarm, you don't want to kill the yeast or cook the eggs. Mix well with the whisk.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour and stir together with a wooden spoon until moistened. Beat for about 40 strokes until all ingredients are well combined and dough forms a lumpy, sticky mass similar to muffin batter.
- Cover bowl and let rise at room temperature until about doubled and dough has a sponge-like texture.
- Use dough right away or refrigerate for up to 3 days before baking. This dough can be braided, made into cinnamon buns or formed like other sweet breads.