Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Broa is a very rustic recipe from Portugal and bears little resemblence to American southern corn bread. It's a very dense loaf that's perfect for sopping up hearty soups. Another great recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook.
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- cornmeal, for pizza peel and dusting the top
- MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Mix the yeast and salt with the water in a 5 quart bowl or a lidded (not airtight) food container.
- Add oil and honey.
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients without kneading, usings a spoon or a heavy-duty stand mixer with dough hook.
- Note:: If not using a mixer you may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bit of the flour.
- Cover (not airthight) and allow to rest at room temperature until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hours.
- The dough can be used immediately after rising, however it is easier to handle when cold.
- Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 7 days.
- BAKING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a grapefruit size piece (1 lb.).
- Dust with more flour and quickily shape into a ball by stretching the surface of dough around to the bottom on all four sides, roating the ball a quarter-turn as you go.
- Flatten the top slightly and allow to rest on a cornmeal-covered pizza peel for 40 minutes.
- Twenty minutes before baking time, preheat oven to 450º F, with a baking stone placed on the middle rack.
- Place a cast iron skillet or empty broiler tray on the bottom rack.
- Sprinkle loaf liberally with cornmeal and slash the top using a serrated bread knife.
- Slide loaf directly onto the hot stone.
- Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the skillet or broiler tray and quickly close the door.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until top of crust is dark brown and firm. Smaller or larger loaves will require adjustments in baking time.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
so so good and easy! I cut this into just one loaf, really enjoyed it and will make again