Galley Wench's Note:
Broa is a very rustic recipe from Portugal and bears little resemblence to American southern corn bread. It's a very dense loaf that's perfect for sopping up hearty soups. Another great recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook.
My Private Note
1 lb. l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- 2Mix the yeast and salt with the water in a 5 quart bowl or a lidded (not airtight) food container.
- 3Add oil and honey.
- 4Mix in the remaining dry ingredients without kneading, usings a spoon or a heavy-duty stand mixer with dough hook.
- 5Note:: If not using a mixer you may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bit of the flour.
- 6Cover (not airthight) and allow to rest at room temperature until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hours.
- 7The dough can be used immediately after rising, however it is easier to handle when cold.
- 8Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 7 days.
- 9BAKING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- 10Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a grapefruit size piece (1 lb.).
- 11Dust with more flour and quickily shape into a ball by stretching the surface of dough around to the bottom on all four sides, roating the ball a quarter-turn as you go.
- 12Flatten the top slightly and allow to rest on a cornmeal-covered pizza peel for 40 minutes.
- 13Twenty minutes before baking time, preheat oven to 450º F, with a baking stone placed on the middle rack.
- 14Place a cast iron skillet or empty broiler tray on the bottom rack.
- 15Sprinkle loaf liberally with cornmeal and slash the top using a serrated bread knife.
- 16Slide loaf directly onto the hot stone.
- 17Pour 1 cup of hot tap water into the skillet or broiler tray and quickly close the door.
- 18Bake for about 30 minutes or until top of crust is dark brown and firm. Smaller or larger loaves will require adjustments in baking time.
- 19Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- 20Allow to cool before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Knead Broa (Portuguese Corn Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (1676 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.7
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2642.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 173.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 21.6 g