Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
No boiling! These make a brown-bag sandwich a little bit special :) Recipe is from Clabber Girl.
Make and share this No Hole Sandwich Bagels recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 5 teaspoons instant yeast
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup instant minced onion or 1⁄2 cup finely minced fresh onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- corn meal for baking sheet (approximately 1/4 cup)
- egg wash, 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water
- In a mixer bowl, whisk together water yeast and sugar. Stir in one cup of the flour and salt. Add most of remaining flour and stir with a wooden spoon to make a soft mass. Attach dough hook or hand knead 8 to 10 minutes. Allow dough to rest, covered with a tea towel for about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, line two large baking sheets with baking parchment and lightly sprinkle with corn meal.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Prepare topping by covering onions with hot water and allow to soak for 15 minutes. Drain, toss with oil and poppy seeds. Set aside.
- Deflate dough and divide in two. Divide each half section of dough into six equal pieces. Allow dough to rest ten minutes. Roll or stretch each portion into a 6 inch circle. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Place bagels on prepared baking sheets. Lightly glaze outer perimeter with egg wash. Spoon on about two teaspoons of prepared onion topping and a little bit of coarse salt (optional). Cover with a floured tea towel and allow to rise 30-40 minutes or until puffy. Bake until golden brown (25-30 minutes). If bagels brown too fast, reduce heat to 425°F For thicker bagel sandwiches allow to rise longer.