Recipe by mizshuckiduck
This is from the Hungry Girl newsletter. I haven't tried it, but it looks decent. It serves 4 and has 3 WW Points per serving.
Top Review by Christie in GA
This was fabulous! I would rename is "Eggplant Lasagna" if I could. I used the whole egg instead of just the whites. I used the heels of my homemade bread for the breadcrumbs, and I used regular fat cheeses. I did find that 1 cup of sauce was not enough. I used a whole jar of sauce total. It was awesome!! The breaded eggplant with the garlic and all smelled amazing cooking in the oven before I layered it. My 3 and 4 year olds ate it up! We will for sure do this again!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup egg white (about 4 large egg whites)
- 1 cup Fiber One cereal, ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency in the blender (original)
- 1 cup canned Italian-style tomato sauce (such as Hunt's Tomatoes Sauce with Basil, Garlic & Oregano)
- 1 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated reduced-fat parmesan cheese, topping
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- dried basil (optional) or dried oregano (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°. Slice ends off of eggplant, and cut it lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips. Use a paper towel to blot eggplant slices on both sides (to remove excess moisture). Spray a large baking pan with nonstick spray. Season crumbs with garlic powder, salt, pepper and, if you like, additional seasonings. Coat eggplant slices on both sides -- first with egg whites, and then with Fiber One crumbs.
- Place slices flat on the baking pan, and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Then, flip slices over and bake until browned on both sides (about 10 minutes longer). Remove pan from oven, but leave oven on.
- Spread 1/4 cup of sauce over the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray. Arrange half of the baked eggplant slices evenly over the sauce. Continue to layer ingredients evenly in this order: sauce (1/4 cup), mozzarella and parm topping (half of each), sauce (1/4 cup), eggplant (remaining slices), sauce (1/4 cup), and cheeses (remaining amounts).
- Cover dish with foil and return to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, or until heated throughout. Allow to cool slightly, and then cut into quarters.