Recipe by SusieQusie
Per the Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr) this makes a thick rich sauce and he's right on with this description. The sauce thickens well, with a nice gloss and remains pourable even when chilled. I've made numerous batches of this recipe to dip strawberries and orange slices and to top that boring fat-free frozen yogurt. Truth be know, I often sneak a spoonful straight-up while browsing the fridge. ;-)
Top Review by MarraMamba
for consistency issues i use a little cornstarch. If you don't like cornstarch i would think a small amount of gelatin would work to thicken as well. try adding some cognac for an adult version.
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular, granular kind not packets
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk (low fat, not condensed milk!)
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (cinnamon & raspberry chips are good also)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the cocoa, coffee crystals, Splenda and salt.
- Gradually add the milk and stir over medium-low heat until smooth.
- Simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chocolate chips, stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Store in the refrigerator. (Store? Is he kidding? I eat it right out of the pan, with a spoon!).
- * Serving size = 1 tablespoon.