Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Per the Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr) this makes a thick rich sauce and he's right on with this description. The sauce thickens well, with a nice gloss and remains pourable even when chilled. I've made numerous batches of this recipe to dip strawberries and orange slices and to top that boring fat-free frozen yogurt. Truth be know, I often sneak a spoonful straight-up while browsing the fridge. ;-)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular, granular kind not packets
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk (low fat, not condensed milk!)
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips (cinnamon & raspberry chips are good also)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the cocoa, coffee crystals, Splenda and salt.
- Gradually add the milk and stir over medium-low heat until smooth.
- Simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chocolate chips, stirring until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Store in the refrigerator. (Store? Is he kidding? I eat it right out of the pan, with a spoon!).
- * Serving size = 1 tablespoon.
for consistency issues i use a little cornstarch. If you don't like cornstarch i would think a small amount of gelatin would work to thicken as well. try adding some cognac for an adult version.
This recipe is missing something to thicken it. As published here you end up with something more akin to chocolate milk. I ended up melting 2 tblsp butter and 4 oz bitterwweet chocolate (unsweetened chocolate with additional splenda would work) and added in about half of this that I had made that hadn't thickened and it was the consistency and taste of hot fudge sauce.
This is a great little sauce for me to have as I try to follow the WW plan most days. It's just the right amount of sweetness for me and of course the added bonus of having the coffee flavor. I of course added just a touch more. But, then I went ahead and added a few more chocolate chips too. Great recipe for ME!!!