Recipe by AshleyC
This is a wonderful recipe for stuffing that everyone can enjoy whether they're on a diet or not.
- 6 slices nature's own light honey-wheat bread (or any light bread)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Leave bread out overnight to harden or toast in oven until slightly stale.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Spray a medium baking dish with spray and place bread cubes in it.
- In a saucepan, combine broth, celery and onion.
- Cook for 6 - 8 minutes or until slightly translucent.
- Remove from heat and add mushrooms and garlic.
- Season with salt, pepper, thyme and any other seasonings you like.
- Once broth mixture has cooled slightly, add egg substitute and butter.
- Pour evenly over bread and mix gently. Bread should be moist but not saturated.
- If too dry, add a few tablespoons of water.
- Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and stir gently.
- Return to over, WITHOUT FOIL, for 10 - 15 minutes, or until top is golden.