Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
from "Everyday with Rachael Ray"
- 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pinch poultry seasoning
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Place chicken thighs in a pot and add chicken broth plus enough water to cover. Cover the pot and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. As soon as the liquid reaches a vigorous boil, reduce the heat to low and cook the chicken, uncovered, at a very slow boil for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it stand, covered, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 25 to 35 minutes. (Test for doneness by removing a thigh and cutting into it. The exact time will depend on the size of the thighs.).
- Pour buttermilk into a resealable bag and add cooked chicken thighs. Refrigerate for anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a shallow dish, combine whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, lemon zest, oregano and poultry seasoning. Remove chicken from buttermilk; discard marinade. Dredge thighs in cornmeal mixture and place on parchment-lined baking sheet; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In an extra-large heavy skillet, heat vegetable oil to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Flash-fry thighs for 12-15 seconds, or until coating is crispy and browned. Serve topped with lemon zest.