Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a delicious pie that comes out with perfectly tender fruit, a crust that is not burnt and best of all, your oven stays clean! Try this method with other pie recipes too! I got this from an old church cookbook and had no idea there was anything wrong with newer paper bags, as the person thankfully posted in her review of this recipe. I had no idea that there were toxins in paper bags. I do not want to be responsible for anyone getting ill! Please only use caution!
- 9 inch unbaked pie shells (check my recipes for Most Incredible No Fail Pie Crust)
- 1 large brown paper bag
- 1419.54 ml peeled coarsely sliced or chopped tart apples
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml flour
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml flour
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Filling: Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and turn them into the unbaked pie shell.
- Prepare Topping: Combine flour and sugar and cut in butter until you have pea sized crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the apples and pat down around the edges.
- Carefully slide the pie into the brown bag and fold the end under the pie plate.
- Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and then remove pie from when cool enough to handle.
- No burnt crust, no under baked apples and no juices spilling over into your oven!
This is a wonderful pie recipe. The one I make is identical except I use white sugar in the topping. I like yours with brown sugar better! I throw mine together and pop it in an oven cooking bag-no fuss, no muss, no hassle! When things cool down, I just cut the bag away. Super-safe and simple method. Thanks for sharing. Laudee C. Colorado
I got this recipe from a friend and it is great - I didn't smell any toxic fumes while it was baking and the pie turned out great. Her family does it this way all the time with no problem so I'm not fearful of making this recipe again! My dh was wary that the bag would catch fire (I had to leave while it was baking.) so I made sure he was aware of the location of the fire extinquisher! :)
I love apple pies and this sounds delicious. But a warning. The paper bags of today are not all pure brown paper. Many of them are made from recycled materials that could be harmful. We ussed to cook whole turkeys at Thanksgiving in bags but were told not because of the materials. Just use caution!