This is a delicious pie that comes out with perfectly tender fruit, a crust that is not burnt and best of all, your oven stays clean! Try this method with other pie recipes too! I got this from an old church cookbook and had no idea there was anything wrong with newer paper bags, as the person thankfully posted in her review of this recipe. I had no idea that there were toxins in paper bags. I do not want to be responsible for anyone getting ill! Please only use caution!
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells (check my recipes for Most Incredible No Fail Pie Crust)
- 1 large brown paper bag
- 6 cups peeled coarsely sliced or chopped tart apples
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Filling: Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and turn them into the unbaked pie shell.
- Prepare Topping: Combine flour and sugar and cut in butter until you have pea sized crumbs.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the apples and pat down around the edges.
- Carefully slide the pie into the brown bag and fold the end under the pie plate.
- Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and then remove pie from when cool enough to handle.
- No burnt crust, no under baked apples and no juices spilling over into your oven!