Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I refuse to eat tomatos when they are mealy and just bad. But I find that a salad needs something other than lettuce. This is what I use until the good tomatos are out or until mine are ripe. Different ingredients for a salad, but pretty healthy and the flavors go together nicely. I have used many different fruits, including blueberries; which were fabulous in this. Walnuts can work really well too in place of the almonds. Hope it works for you.
- 5 ounces Italian salad mix
- 1⁄4 cup roasted unsalted almonds
- 1⁄2 cup cut watermelon or 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mango, cut into smaller chunks
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1⁄3 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you want a little kick to it) (optional)
- Be sure lettuce has been washed well.
- Gently mix all salad ingredients together, depending on what fruit and nuts you have chosen.
- Whisk together dressing and pour on salad.