Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
"We've got some lovely twists on shepherd's pie on the site, but we were missing a definitive version of this classic family recipe - here it is!". From the BBC where it has (currently) 129 5 star ratings
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 medium carrots, chopped
- 500 g ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 large splash Worcestershire sauce
- 500 ml beef stock
- 900 g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 85 g butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, then soften the onion and carrots for a few minutes When soft, turn up the heat, crumble in the lamb and brown, tipping off any excess fat. Add the tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce, then fry for a few minutes Pour over the stock, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 40 mins, uncovering halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180C/ fan 160C/ gas 4, then make the mash. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10-15 mins until tender. Drain, then mash with the butter and milk.
- Put the mince into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork. The pie can now be chilled and frozen for up to a month. Bake for 20-25 mins until the top is starting to colour and the mince is bubbling through at the edges. (To bake from frozen, cook at 160C/fan 140C/gas 3 for 1 hr-1 hr 20 mins until piping hot in the centre. Flash under the grill to brown, if you like.) Leave to stand for 5 mins before serving.
Delicious and easy. I made this last night and my family cooked it today while I was at work. They all loved it. Made for ZWT8.