Recipe by Olha
These are the best sweet and sour meatballs. I like to use 1/2 lb. very lean ground beef and 1/2 lb. lean ground pork. The sauce is lovely. I did not have pineapple tidbits, instead I used crushed pineapple and drained and continued the same as for tidbits.
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup grated onion
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup diced sweet green pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large garlic cloves, minced or 1 large grated garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (398 mL)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water, to dissolve cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup toasted chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, beat eggs; mix in onion, crumbs, milk, green pepper, salt, pepper, Worcestershire and garlic. Mix in beef; shape into twenty four 1-inch balls. Bake on greased baking sheet in 400°F oven for 25 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Drain on towels.
- FOR THE SAUCE: Meanwhile, strain pineapple juice into skillet. Over medium heat, whisk in sugar, vinegar and soy sauce until sugar is dissolved. Blend cornstarch into 2 tablespoons water; pour into skillet and bring to boil, whisking. Boil for 1 minute or until thickened. Add pineapple; simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add meatballs; cook, turning often, for 5 minutes or until hot and well glazed. Serve sprinkled with nuts if using. I like to keep the meatballs warm on very low heat while I make the rice. This way they pick up more flavour and are tender. Serves 4.
- Canadian Living.