Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
I was horrified, then fascinated, then in love with this strange (to me) little vegetable dish when I had it mixed with potatoes in a dry curry at my local Indian vegetarian lunch counter. It's a very strong flavor, so if you make this and aren't yet familiar with it, you've been warned! ;o) I haven't yet tried it, but I'm looking around for various bitter melon recipes (aka bitter gourd).
Top Review by mata bhumi
Delicious and sooo healthy! This version is much more flavorful than the deep fried version I'm most familiar with. I like to add a small amount of lemon or lime juice to curb the bitterness.
- 2 bitter melons
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to about 375°F.
- Wash the bitter melon and slice them using a mandolin slicer into thin round slices.
- Mix with salt, turmeric and chilli powder and marinate for about 1/2 an hour. Squeeze excess moisture out.
- Spread foil on a baking tray and grease it with about a tbsp oil. Toss the bitter melon slices with 2 tbsp oil and spread them on the baking tray.
- Bake for about 5-7 mins and then broil it for 7 minutes Depending on the type of your oven, the broiling might be a few mins more or less. Crispy Karela -- without frying!