1/1 Photo of No Fluff Tapioca Pudding
1 hr 5 mins
I have never been able to make tapioca pudding that calls for beaten egg whites successfully and most all recipes call for it. I finally found this recipe and it is the BEST we have ever tasted--so creamy and rich and thick and dense. Very yummy. The original calls for a vanilla bean, but it can be subbed for vanilla extract and still tastes amazing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups milk, -divided (I used half ff milk and half ff half and half)
- 1/3 cup small pearl tapioca (not instant)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar (its plenty sweet, could use less)
- 1 vanilla beans, split or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- 1In a heavy bottomed sauce pan combine 1 cup milk with tapioca pearls; let soak for at least 30 minutes.
- 2After soaking is done, whisk in egg, salt, sugar and remaining milk and vanilla bean (if using) scraping the paste with a knife and throw in the pod (if using vanilla extract add at the very end after pudding is complete).
- 3Over medium heat bring mixture barely to a boil (about 15 minutes) stirring constantly. Be very careful to keep stirring so not to scorch it. If it scorches it's no good, throw out and start over.
- 4When boiling reduce heat and let mixture fall to a simmer. Continue stirring until the tapioca is fully cooked and the pudding is thickened. This could take 20 to 45 minutes--watch your tapioca it will tell you when it is done. It will swell up and become almost entirely translucent. Taste often for doneness. I like my tapioca a little chewy.
- 5When finished remove from heat and add vanilla extract if using. Also if using the cinnamon/nutmeg add now, let cool a bit and enjoy.
- 6This is best served warm, but good cold too.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No Fluff Tapioca Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.3
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 96.1 mg
- Sodium 337.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 22.7 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: