Recipe by Doc W
This recipe is adapted from a friend's--it makes hearty, moist muffins that are good for South Beach Phase 2 because they have no refined carbs or sugar--just oats, oat bran, flax seed, and walnuts. I make them for my partner who has high cholesterol. The flax seed substitutes for oil/butter and also makes them really fluffy; for SB you can substitute fresh/frozen blueberries or cranberries for the craisins. Note: These are NOT SWEET--they are more like a walnut-fruit bread than a sweet muffin, we prefer this. You can make them sweeter by using vanilla soy milk, but that adds sugar to this no-sugar delight. The fruit is also optional--I've made them with just walnuts and they are still delicious. Enjoy!
Top Review by Tea Jenny
This is just up my street, I like the fact that they are not sweet at all. They are very dense but not heavy or gooey. I used the applesauce rather than the banana, I like apples better, and I cut the recipe by half, other than that I followed the recipe. I really liked these and I will be making them again. Very healthy and good for my diabetic diet. Thank you for posting. Made for Healthy choices ABC tag game 2011.
- 1 banana, mashed (can substitute 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten (or egg whites equal to 3 eggs)
- 1 cup soya milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries (or blueberries, or use fresh or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (except the fruit) together in a larger bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add the dried or fresh/frozen berries, if desired.
- Spoon into the muffin tin--fill each cup about 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool 2 minutes in the pan, then cool completely on rack.
- Muffins can be frozen and thawed if you aren't going to eat them right away.