1/2 Photos of No-Flour No-Sugar Oat Walnut Fruit Muffins
Doc W's Note:
This recipe is adapted from a friend's--it makes hearty, moist muffins that are good for South Beach Phase 2 because they have no refined carbs or sugar--just oats, oat bran, flax seed, and walnuts. I make them for my partner who has high cholesterol. The flax seed substitutes for oil/butter and also makes them really fluffy; for SB you can substitute fresh/frozen blueberries or cranberries for the craisins. Note: These are NOT SWEET--they are more like a walnut-fruit bread than a sweet muffin, we prefer this. You can make them sweeter by using vanilla soy milk, but that adds sugar to this no-sugar delight. The fruit is also optional--I've made them with just walnuts and they are still delicious. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 banana, mashed (can substitute 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten (or egg whites equal to 3 eggs)
- 1 cup soya milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (or blueberries, or use fresh or frozen)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- 3Mix the wet ingredients together in a small bowl.
- 4Mix all the dry ingredients (except the fruit) together in a larger bowl.
- 5Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix well.
- 6Add the dried or fresh/frozen berries, if desired.
- 7Spoon into the muffin tin--fill each cup about 3/4 of the way up.
- 8Bake 18-20 minutes.
- 9Let cool 2 minutes in the pan, then cool completely on rack.
- 10Muffins can be frozen and thawed if you aren't going to eat them right away.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Flour No-Sugar Oat Walnut Fruit Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 193.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 6.0 g