1/3 Photos of No-Flour Cornbread
This recipe was the one my mother used, and her mother before her. Beyond that I can't go! It spoiled me for anything calling itself "cornbread" that has flour or sweeteners in it -- I call those "corn cake." This is great with chili, stew, and other hearty dishes. My dad used to crumble it up into buttermilk and eat it with a spoon. It's a requirement for our family's New Years Day dinner, along with the roast pork and black-eyed peas. It's also the main ingredient in Thanksgiving/Christmas/anytime turkey stuffing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Put first 5 ingredients in mixing bowl. (If it makes you feel better, go ahead and mix the dry ingredients, whisk the eggs into the buttermilk, then combine dry/wet ingredients).
- 3Mix with large spoon or whisk.
- 4Put bacon grease in well-seasoned 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium to high heat.
- 5Just as the bacon grease is about to start smoking, pour it into the other ingredients, stirring as you pour (if you can manage it). Leave enough in the skillet to coat the bottom and sides.
- 6Pour entire mixture into the skillet.
- 7Place skillet on middle rack of oven; bake until cornbread is springy in the middle, browned and pulling away from the skillet on the sides (about 15-20 minutes).
- 8Remove from oven and invert skillet over serving plate. If cornbread does not drop easily, you may need to run an icing spatula or even a flexible metal egg-turner around/under it so it comes loose.
- 9Recipe halves well, just remember you can't cut the bacon grease by half because you still need to coat the skillet.
- 10Serve hot, with plenty of butter. Or margarine, if you insist.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No-Flour Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.9
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 55.0 mg
- Sodium 305.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 6.0 g