Recipe by David Bishop
This is a very versatile chili recipe that also tastes great! They key is the ground turkey breast, which has almost no fat (1 gm per serving vs. 12 gm for most store-bought regular ground turkey). You can easily lower the heat by removing the seeds and pith (white stuff) from some or all of the peppers. If you want to make it Vegetarian, you can remove the turkey and substitute cubed Tofu (or not) and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also use the dry ingredients by themselves as a nice chili powder for other recipes.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
*This is a 10 star recipe* I love you Dave! I'm AMAZED that this is one of the best chilis I've ever had and there's no bacon or fatty ground beef. I followed the instructions exactly and wouldn't change a thing! Even though I removed the chili pepper seeds this is *quite spicy* though so beware if that's not your thing (we love it!) The Nutrition Facts are even better than they look too; this is much more than eight servings. I think my husband thought I was having the entire Orlando Magic team over with how much it made, and I'm thrilled to now have these leftovers in the freezer for quick meals. Thanks for a new favorite recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey breast
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 3 chili peppers, finely chopped
- 4 habanero peppers, finely chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 16 ounces tomatoes, crushed
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- 16 ounces coffee
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, finely ground
- 5 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients (cayenne, cocoa, coriander, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt) and put aside.
- Brown turkey breast in a skillet and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large pot until almost smoking.
- Cook onions and garlic in oil until caramelized.
- Add turkey to pot.
- Add wet ingredients (tomatoes, tomato paste, Guinness, coffee, and chicken broth) and bring to a slow boil.
- Add dry ingredients and brown sugar.
- Add 1 can red kidney beans, 1 can black beans, chili peppers, and Habenaro peppers.
- Lower heat and simmer (covered) for 2 hours, stirring gently every half-hour.
- Add 1 can red kidney beans and 1 can white kidney beans.
- Simmer (covered) for another 2 hours, stirring gently every half-hour.