1/1 Photo of No Fat Turkey Chili - a La Dave
4 hrs 45 mins
David Bishop's Note:
This is a very versatile chili recipe that also tastes great! They key is the ground turkey breast, which has almost no fat (1 gm per serving vs. 12 gm for most store-bought regular ground turkey). You can easily lower the heat by removing the seeds and pith (white stuff) from some or all of the peppers. If you want to make it Vegetarian, you can remove the turkey and substitute cubed Tofu (or not) and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also use the dry ingredients by themselves as a nice chili powder for other recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs ground turkey breast
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 3 chili peppers, finely chopped
- 4 habanero peppers, finely chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 16 ounces tomatoes, crushed
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- 16 ounces coffee
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, finely ground
- 5 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1Mix dry ingredients (cayenne, cocoa, coriander, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt) and put aside.
- 2Brown turkey breast in a skillet and set aside.
- 3Heat canola oil in a large pot until almost smoking.
- 4Cook onions and garlic in oil until caramelized.
- 5Add turkey to pot.
- 6Add wet ingredients (tomatoes, tomato paste, Guinness, coffee, and chicken broth) and bring to a slow boil.
- 7Add dry ingredients and brown sugar.
- 8Add 1 can red kidney beans, 1 can black beans, chili peppers, and Habenaro peppers.
- 9Lower heat and simmer (covered) for 2 hours, stirring gently every half-hour.
- 10Add 1 can red kidney beans and 1 can white kidney beans.
- 11Simmer (covered) for another 2 hours, stirring gently every half-hour.
Browse Our Top Turkey Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Turkey Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for No Fat Turkey Chili - a La Dave
Serving Size: 1 (348 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.5
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.9 mg
- Sodium 466.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 15.6 g