Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a very easy and quick NO FAT gravy to make. No fuss and you do not have to worry about the gravy going lumpy. I developed this recipe almost 20 years ago using my homemade chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- In a large frying pan, add broth, mushrooms and liquid and bring to boil.
- Add pepper, garlic powder, chicken soup base, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, stir to blend.
- While still at boil, add potato flakes stirring constantly until gravy thickens to a desired consistency.
- Use additional instant potato flakes if gravy is too thin.
- If gravy gets too thick, add small amounts of water.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- If you desire a brown color, add a few drops of (Bovril, beef concentrate).
- This gravy is excellent with roasts or chicken.
This recipe is a Godsend to me - most bought gravies are loaded with salt. I was able to reduce the sodium even more by using reduced sodium broth. Sometimes I make homemade beef broth, so I'll use that to try making a beef gravy with this recipe.
Also tried this recipe using beef broth and beef powder. Excellent!
Marvelous Creation! I bought some potato flakes just for this recipe. and thank god i did - i will definetely be making this in the future. =)